secure a renovation bonus now:
The walls, windows, doors, and roofs of our homes are often not adequately insulated. As a result, many houses have higher than necessary energy costs and offer limited comfort of living. You are aware of this and have already been considering the thermal renovation of your home for quite a while? Then now is the perfect time. The Ministry of Climate Action will help you with a renovation subsidy of up to EUR 14,000 – which is not only good for your finances, but also for the environment.
- Now is the best time The federal government is offering higher funding than ever before in addition to the funding from the provinces.
- Lower heating costs It reduces the consumption of gas, electricity, pellets, district heating, and the like, and thus your heating costs, as well.
- Higher comfort of living Your home is easier to heat in the winter and stays cool in the summer. Unpleasant draughts are a thing of the past.
- More value It increases the property value and the house is usually nicer afterwards, too.
- Active contribution to climate protection It is good for the environment and for a comfortable, secure life that is less impacted by price fluctuations.
By clicking on the YouTube button, the video will be loaded and access data sent to YouTube.
How do you
Just like with any major project, it is a good idea to inform yourself before you start. The website of the klimaaktiv climate protection initiative offers comprehensive information about renovation, sample calculations, and tips on how to best go about renovating.
At the outset, you then have to decide whether to renovate your entire property all at once or gradually in multiple steps:
All at once
With a comprehensive renovation, you arrive at the optimal result in a single push:
- The funding is put to optimal use: A comprehensive renovation in line with the klimaaktiv standard is eligible for the most funding from the federal government and often results in higher residential construction subsidies from the provinces due to the good energy efficiency ratings.
- You only have the hassle of a renovation once and the construction time is shorter overall: This reduces the inconveniences during the construction phase.
- Eliminates the costs for setting up multiple construction sites.
- The interfaces between the companies involved are simplified.
- The highest possible reduction of heating costs is realised immediately.
- This option offers the biggest climate effect.
Step by step
If it is not possible to renovate all at once:
The renovation roadmap provides an overall concept that will still allow you to achieve your objective. Your energy consultant can inform you about how individual implementation steps can be coordinated in a way that makes sense.
What is eligible
Funding is provided for the thermal renovation of detached and semi-detached houses and terraced houses that are more than 20 years old.
How much funding is available for which measures?
Funding is awarded in the form of a one-off, non-repayable investment subsidy up to a maximum of 50% of the eligible investment costs.
If insulating materials made from renewable resources are used (for at least 25% of all insulated surfaces), the maximum funding amounts listed below increase by 50%.
- Comprehensive renovation at klimaaktiv standard: funding up to EUR 14,000
- Comprehensive renovation at good standard: up to EUR 9,000
- Partial renovation, 40%: up to EUR 6,000
- Individual renovation measures: up to EUR 3,000
Please note: Only one measure may be submitted in the 2023/24 funding period.
It is possible to combine the federal funding with funding from the provinces. An overview of the funding from the nine provinces and the contact information of the competent provincial funding agencies can be found at klimaaktiv.
Funding is provided for the thermal renovation of multistorey buildings with at least three residential units and terraced housing complexes that are more than 20 years old.
What is eligible for funding?
Funding is available for the insulation of the exterior walls, the ceiling of the top storey and/or the roof, and the floor of the lowest storey and/or the basement floor as well as for the refurbishment or replacement of the windows and exterior doors.
How much funding is available?
Funding is awarded in the form of a one-off, non-repayable investment subsidy up to a maximum of 30% of the eligible investment costs.
- Comprehensive renovation at klimaaktiv standard: up to EUR 100 per square metre of living space
- If insulating materials made from renewable resources are used (for at least 25% of all insulated surfaces), the funding increases to EUR 175 per square metre of living space
- The implementation of roof and terrace greening measures for buildings in town centres also increases the funding to EUR 175 per square metre of living space
- Renovation of the windows as an individual measure: up to EUR 3,000
Funding is provided for measures to improve the thermal insulation of buildings that are primarily used for business purposes and are more than 20 years old. Applications can be submitted by companies, associations, and religious organisations.
What is eligible for funding?
- Individual renovation measures that are eligible for funding are the insulation of the ceiling of the top storey (e.g. roof), the refurbishment or replacement of windows, skylights, and exterior doors, and the replacement of rooflight domes, rows of windows, sectional doors, and roller doors.
- Additional eligibility: The insulation of the exterior walls is also eligible for funding as part of a comprehensive renovation.
How much funding is available?
The funding for a comprehensive renovation amounts to up to 30% of the eligible costs.
How does the
We recommend the following approach for the renovation of a detached or semi-detached house:
- Energy consultation Consult an expert about the renovation needs of your building. This consultation should be conducted on-site following an inspection of the building.
In the majority of provinces, you only have to pay a small fee for an energy consultation.
Energy consulting offices in the provinces
- Planning Inform yourself about the funding available from the federal government and the provinces for your planned renovation project.
Based on the energy consultation, you should have an energy performance certificate or a renovation concept with renovation variants drawn up. Then plan your renovation with a professional, specialised company.
Information about funding from the provinces
- Secure funding You have completed the project planning and have all of the required documents ready? Now it’s time to register:
3a. Online application for an individual renovation measure
The submission process for an individual renovation measure involves two steps: registering and then filing the application.
Step 1: The registration of your construction-ready project can only be completed online at www.sanierungsscheck23.at/efh. Completing the registration ensures that the funding is reserved for your project.
Step 2: The application must be filed within 12 months after the registration. Your project must be fully implemented and settled at the time the application is filed.
3b. Online application for a comprehensive renovation or a partial renovation.
The application for a comprehensive renovation (good standard or klimaaktiv standard) or a partial renovation can also only be filed online at www.sanierungsscheck23.at/efh.
When filing the application, information must be provided about the planned measures and the estimated costs for these measures. Based on this information, the tentative funding amount for your project will be calculated and reserved. You have until 30 December 2025 to implement the planned measures and submit the final settlement documents.
Questions about funding?
The service team at the funding management agency, Kommunalkredit Public Consulting GmbH, will be happy to provide you with assistance:
01/31 6 31-264
Funding from the Federal Ministry for Climate Action, handled by: